Friday roundup: Grading Mariners subsidies on a curve, Cobb County could close parks to pay off Braves debt, Beckham punts on another stadium deadline

Congratulations to the team that had never won the hockey thing winning it over the other team that had never won the hockey thing because it was a new team! And meanwhile:


11 comments on “Friday roundup: Grading Mariners subsidies on a curve, Cobb County could close parks to pay off Braves debt, Beckham punts on another stadium deadline

  1. Great Friday roundup….17,000 voters vote a huge tax increase in BFE….but I couldn’t believe the Comcast CEO saying he doesn’t care about 80% of his customers and needs to address the other 20%. I simply can’t believe how this guy has a job.

  2. ”after voting overwhelmingly to spend $180 million on a new arena.” do you mean voting to NOT spend 180 million?

    • Yes, that one. Stupid English with its lack of grammatical inflection!

      (Fixing now, thanks.)

  3. I mentioned a few months ago the Belmont Park grandstand was built in 1967 and how long before they start asking for renovations?

    • For a while, they were taking about “winterizing” Belmont and selling off Aqueduct. Wonder if that will come up again.

  4. Maybe the Flyers’ arena wasn’t tired… maybe it was just pining….

  5. It is a shame that traditionalists are holding back progress in all sorts of spectator experiences. Why not have talking/milling areas at movies and plays too? Walk around with your friends and have a beer? Who cares about the other 80 percent.

    I don’t begrudge Spectacor the right to appeal to customers. But I think all of us can make fun of business people who sound like absolute dolts when they talk.

    • Yep, very pleased this appears to be a private company using it’s own money to pursue profits… I would stop short of commending them on that as it’s what businesses are supposed to do. However, in this environment/world, it is refreshing to see it still happens.

      • This being Philadelphia, when the arena was sponsored by First Union Bank it was locally known as the “F U Center.” You can’t buy that kind of publicity.