This is an archived version of a Field of Schemes article. Comments on this page are closed. To find the current version of the article with updated comments, click here.
August 07, 2008
Nets arena opening put off until sun goes nova
Representatives of New Jersey Nets owner Bruce Ratner have admitted what everyone else already assumed: The team's new Brooklyn arena likely won't be ready until 2011, at the earliest. "We plan to break ground this fall," Forest City Vice President Bruce Bender told the Brooklyn Paper earlier this week. "While that's the goal, if it is not met, then [the team's first game in Brooklyn] would end up being calendar year 2011."
Atlantic Yards Report blogger Norman Oder had reported that Ratner told a shareholders meeting in June that the company would he complete its loans by the end of the this year, then take two and a half years to build an arena - which would mean a summer 2011 opening. That would mean a delay of two years from the 2009 opening projected last fall, and five years from the 2006 opening date originally put forward by Ratner in 2003. If, that is, it happens at all.