This is an archived version of a Field of Schemes article. Comments on this page are closed. To find the current version of the article with updated comments, click here.
March 01, 2011
Sacramento Kings get seven-week extension on move request
And also as expected, the NBA gave the owners of the Sacramento Kings an extension on their relocation application until April 18, which will allow the matter to be discussed at the April 14-15 owners' meetings.
I've written before (see article as well as comments), it seems unlikely to me that issues of TV rights, payoffs to the Los Angeles Lakers and Clippers for horning in on their demographic region, and a lease in Anaheim can all get worked out that quickly — especially with a lockout and revamped collective bargaining agreement looming — but that's just educated guesswork. If nothing else, those owners' meetings are going to be very, very interesting to sit in on.
In other Kings news, Power Balance is backing away from a deal to buy naming rights to the maybe-soon-to-be-abandoned Arco Arena, and fans at last night's game chanted "Here we stay!" Wouldn't "Apres nous, le deluge" have been more appropriate?
Neil, I'd think it's unlikely to get worked out before April if it were early in the process. But it seems like the Maloofs are deep into this process of working with Anaheim on the move. Coupled with FSN now being left in the cold by the Lakers forming their own network (and needing a new broadcast partner) and it seems like this could very well be alot easier and closer to completion that you'd think.
Neil, you forget that the Kings don't have to pay the Lakers or Clippers for the rights to Anaheim, they just have to pay the NBA as a whole a relocation fee. This isn't the MLB, this is the NBA and Sterling won this fight to get the Clippers to Los Angeles (a partial thanks to the Raiders moving from Oakland to Los Angeles after the Rams went to Anaheim).
I have a feeling a deal will get done. The Ducks owner owns the KDOC TV network and can put the Kings games on his channel until Lakers TV is created and FOX Sports West has an opening in its programming. They can get a radio deal with AM 830 KLAA which is owned by the Angels baseball team.
I have a feeling the Maloofs are going to try to get the best lease possible then follow up the media relations portion of their deals. The sponsorship money is much bigger in Orange County compared to Sacramento. I have a feeling the Anaheim Royals will become reality if not this season, then for sure next season. Power Balance has withdrew its signage right now for the former Arco Arena because they're not even sure if the Kings are coming back next year.
Dan: If they've asked for an extension till beyond the April owners' meetings, I think it's clear nothing will be decided before then.
Kombayn: We don't know that the Kings don't have to pay the Lakers and Clippers - yes, there's some case law precedent in the Clippers case, but that was ultimately settled out of court. I'm sure it's an argument that the Maloofs will make at the owners' meetings to try to keep the L.A. teams' demands within reason, but if the Lakers and Clippers can get a block of owners on their side, it'll be tough for the Maloofs to override that.
I think Anaheim has a lot in its favor (mostly TV rights), but when you add up relocation fees, not controlling their own building, and whatever lease payments Samueli demands, I honestly don't know whether it ends up being worth more than staying in Sacramento - and I wonder if the Maloofs will be able to answer that either before a new CBA is in place. That's why I wouldn't be surprised to see this decision punted for a year.
I'll just have to disagree with you on this one Neil. I think the timing of the meeting is more coincidental to what's going on than anything. And if anything is a benefit for the Maloofs since they can just make their case for a move and have a vote taken on it then and there. But the decision will have been made before that by the team ownership just as it was with Seattle before they moved to OKC.
You're also forgetting that the 90 day negotiation period that the City Council agreed to is after April 18. The Council said May 5; the NBA said April 18. That's pretty huge.
The Maloofs have still not turned over the documents to Taylor-ICON. Remember, this is all about FUNDING an arena in Sacramento, and the analysis Talor-ICON is attempting to complete is useless without this vital information from the Maloofs. They've effectively reduced the negotiation period from Feb 9-May 5 to about March 1-April 18. I can't see a way to interpret that positively.
This has been in the works for at least 2 years now. We're not seeing the entire 48 minutes of this game, only the last 15 seconds of it. This is just a way to provide Sac with a right of first refusal, a final "Can you match this offer?".
On a positive note, at least the arena won't be named after a scam product. Geez, I'd rather it was Enzyte Arena.
Forget Anaheim. The Kings should try to get a lease in San Jose, CA.